Racetrackp page

Deauville-La-Touques RacecourseRacing and the sea

Deauville… Admit it, the name makes you dream! It is traditionally said that the Duke of Morny, who played an active role in founding this seaside resort in the nineteenth century, built the town’s racecourse before he built its church. It was at a time when a racecourse was both a stadium and a casino, and a time when a holiday without a spot of racing was inconceivable.

It is also for this reason that almost from its inception the racecourse at Touques, which is two hours from the capital, has been run by Parisian racing societies, at present by France Galop.

The elegant buildings, the Anglo-Norman style of the weighing room, the seagulls, and the Group 1 races are all things that make the August meeting at Trouville’s unique, and which make it a kind of way of going back a few years in time.

Each summer in August, just as it was when high society used to gather in days gone by, the racecourse opens its doors all month long to welcome in a high-flown programme of events, with no less than five Group 1 races on the programme.

The best horses, the best jockeys and the best trainers are all there, as of course are the owners, all keen to take part in the famous yearling sales that take place next to the racecourse.

It also provides a unique chance to see thoroughbreds frolic by the seaside on Deauville beach in the early morning. Although the training centre at Deauville takes on horses throughout the year, it is brimming with champions during the summer.

There are of course also races in the Autumn (since 1991), and since the installation of an All-Weather track (in 2003) during the Winter as well, but it’s in August that the racecourse is at its best, and the great tradition of racing is brought to life, inevitably with the sun as an accidental witness to the proceedings…

How to get there ?

Hippodrome de Deauville - La Touques. 45 avenue Hocquart de Turtot - Deauville 14800

By train:
SNCF: From Saint-Lazare to Deauville Tel. : 3635

Central taxi Deauville-Trouville: tel. : 02 31 87 11 11

By car:
A13 Motorway from Paris direction Caen. Take the exit marked Deauville and follow the road into the town centre. After the train station continue straight on to Avenue de la République. Before the church, turn left towards Saint Arnoult. The racecourse is 400 metres down on the left. Paid parking is at the entrance.

Price: €3


  • Bureau de Change

  • ATM

  • Binocular rentals

  • Gift shop

  • Easy Racing area: Understand racing, learn to bet.

Food service

  • Panoramic Restaurant "La Toque"
    At the heart of the action with a panoramic view of the track

  • Brasserie "Les Jardins du Paddock"

  • Snack Bar "La Touques"
  • Bar "Les Casaques"
  • Booking - Groupe Barrière :
    • Racing days : 02 31 14 20 53
    • Off days : 02 31 14 31 14

- Mice

- Restaurant


 Internet presaleReduced price (1)Full price

Parking (internet presale)

Parking (D-D)
WeekdayOn-site sales only3 €5 €OfferedOffered
SaturdaysOn-site sales only3 €5 €OfferedOffered

Sundays and holydays

On-site sales only5 €8 €On-site sales only3 €
Meeting de Deauville Barrière - Grands Prix 4 *(from july 28th to august 29th)6 €8 €10 €3 €5 €

For futher information and tickets: billetterie.france-galop.com.

Reduced price: for those that have a France Galop Club card, students, over 60s, job-seekers, and those accompanying handicapped people. 

Free entry for under 18s, PMU card holders (except Grand Prix 5*), and handicapped people.

Calendar of races 2019

Deauville schedule

Main events

  • In August - Prix Maurice de Gheest (Group 1), Prix Rothschild (Group 1), Prix Jacques Le Marois-Haras de Fresnay-le-Buffard (Group 1), Darley Prix Morny (Group 1), Darley Prix Jean Romanet (Group 1), Grand Prix de Deauville-Lucien Barrière (Group 2).

Schedule of upcoming races

Date Racetrack Start Races To note Ground Premium
20/08/2019 DEAUVILLE 13h20 Plat : 8
Autre(s) course(s) à noter :
Terrain Premium
23/08/2019 DEAUVILLE 13h20 Plat : 9
Autre(s) course(s) à noter :
Terrain Premium
24/08/2019 DEAUVILLE 13h30 Plat : 9
Autre(s) course(s) à noter :
Terrain Premium
25/08/2019 DEAUVILLE 13h30 Plat : 9
Autre(s) course(s) à noter :
Prix : QUINCEY (Grp. III)
Prix : DE MEAUTRY (Grp. III)
27/08/2019 DEAUVILLE 13h20 Plat : 8
Autre(s) course(s) à noter :

Deauville-La-Touques in numbers


41 meetings in 2019;

Capacity 10 000 people;

70 hectares, including 15 hectares of turf tracks and one All-Weather track of 2,100 metres;

3 tracks:
One right-handed track of 2 200 metres;
One straight-line track of 1 600 metres;
One All-Weather track of 2,100 metres.

Training centre:

75 hectares of land;

Around 400 racehorses are stabled for the year at Deauville, but the numbers go up to 700 in August




French racing already owes Napoleon III’s half-brother, the Duke of Morny a debt of gratitude for the construction of Longchamp (1857), and for the conception and financing of the Grand Prix de Paris (1863). But the third act of his racing patronage would come with the racecourse at Deauville. With the support of his friend Doctor Oliffe, Morny decided to organise the races at Deauville in the hope that this would serve as a quick way of making the town competitive with Brighton in England, Baden-Baden in Germany and above all the neighbouring resort of Dieppe in Normandy, where races had been held since 1850. In their opinion, casinos and racecourses were inseparable.

Over sixty-six hectares of drained marshland, two tracks were laid out and stands built against a backdrop of green hills. The Société d’Encouragement and the Société des Courses de Caen placed the practical side of organising the races in the hands of the newly created Société des Courses de Deauville. For the use of the Parisian population, there was an express train linking the capital to the station at Trouville.

On Sunday the 14th and Monday 15th August 1864, the first two race meetings took place on the banks of the river Touques.

For the Duke of Morny there would be no return to the races at Deauville. He died on 8 March 1865, five months before the second race meeting on the 6 and 7 August. However, the demise of its number one promoter did not stop Deauville races from quickly becoming a highlight of the French racing calendar.

The weighing room was built in 1880 by the Trouville architect Delarue, inspired by vernacular buildings from the second half of the eighteenth century.

When the racecourse celebrated its fiftieth anniversary on 6 August 1913, the south side was extended with a building in the same style. The layout of the outer wall of the weighing room and the paddock is the work of the architect and landscape gardener Eugène Thouret.

The Second Empire stands were rebuilt in 1919 on the initiative of Count Jacques Le Marois, president of the Société d’Encouragement. In place of simple terraces covered by a large awning, the architects Louis Lefranc and Alfred Pigny constructed an imposing building in reinforced concrete, partially ornamented with brick décoration. It could accommodate 2,000 spectators. Its monumental character is softened by a range of elements projecting from the building (bow-windows, peristyles, canopies).

In 1921, la Société d’Encouragement, which had taken control of the site, acquired land to the south of the racecourse in order build stables. These were created by Charles Adda, who completed the ensemble with a group of four villas.

The training centre at Deauville only dates from 1982. At the end of October 1991, two extra race days were held. This was the start of an autumn meeting. On 30 July 1995, following important work that was carried out in the off-season, La Touques racecourse reopened its doors. It had the great novelty of a new track, created by borrowing the outer part of the very large turf training area, itself situated inside the main track. This new track was soon substituted for an All-Weather track, which opened on 6 July 2003. As it can be used for training and racing whatever the weather, even in winter, it means that the turf track can be protected. In December 2003 meetings were organised for the first time in December and January.