Racetrackp page

Saint-Cloud RacecourseThe professionals’ favourite racecourse

Situated on a plateau at the top of the hill of Saint-Cloud, the Val d’Or Racecourse is one favoured by professionals. Because of its exceptional going, the grass track can be raced on from early in the season until late in the autumn, as the surface copes very well with bad weather. Additionally, the layout of the track is very harmonious and relatively flat, with a long and wide 500-metre home straight. Moreover, Saint-Cloud is the only exclusively left-handed racecourse in the Paris region, likely in part due to it being the most recent. It dates to the very beginning of the twentieth century, and was built for the enjoyment of the public.

During its spring meeting, Saint-Cloud regularly sees some of the future top three-year olds pound its turf before they go on to compete in the very best races. This has given it the reputation of being a breeding ground for champions, because many of the best horses only make their debuts at the beginning of their Classic season.

The stands, which were reconstructed for greater functionality in the 1950s, are integrated into a verdant and peaceful setting close to Paris and the Bois de Boulogne. Val d’Or has a unique charm, with its own golf course in the middle of the track, as well as the incredible buildings that were formerly part of the Fouilleuse estate, now the Paris Country Club, whose brick structures exude the atmosphere of the period known to posterity as ‘The Glorious Thirty’ (1946-1975).

How to get there ?

1, rue du Camp Canadien - 92210 Saint-Cloud

By train:
From Gare Saint-Lazare, stop "Saint-Cloud or Val d'Or" with the Line L
Tramway Line T2, stop "Suresnes Longchamp" then Bus 244

By bus:
244 from Porte Maillot, stop "Val d'Or"
360 from La Défense
467 from Porte de Saint-Cloud
160 from Pont de Sèvres

Free shuttles:
Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays when racing
All shuttles leave from Porte Maillot (at the stop for bus 244) 
Arrival: Racecourse of Saint-Cloud (Main entrance street of the Canadian camp).

Shuttles will be activated for the following days:

- Sunday, March 19
- Sunday, April 2
- Sunday, April 23
- Monday 1 May
- Monday, May 8
- Sunday, July 2
- Friday, July 14
- Sunday, October 22
- Sunday, October 29

By car:
From Paris (quais de Seine, Bois de Boulogne, périphérique), go over the Suresnes Bridge and continue on to the Boulevard Henri Sellier before turning right on to the rue du Camp Canadien.

Paid parking:
Rue du Camp Canadien in Saint-Cloud
Rue de Buzenval in Buzenval
Rue du Lieutenant Colonel de Montbrison in Rueil (direct access to the racecourse)

 

Services

Food service

  • Panoramic Restaurant "Val d'Or"

  • At the heart of the action with a panoramic view of the track

  • Brasserie "Tanerko"

  • Grand Bar (Drinks, sandwiches, paninis, kebabs, sausage and chips, pastries).

  • Bar de la Plage (Drinks, roasts of the day, sandwiches, pastries).

  • Bookings: 01 42 88 84 85
    reservationhippodromes@groupe-casino.fr
     

Prices

 Full priceReduced priceParking
Weekday5€3€Free
Weekends or public holidays8€5€3€
Grands Prix 4*10€8€3€
Grands Prix 5* Prix de Diane Longines20€16€5€
Grands Prix 5* Qatar Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe30€27€10€

Grand Prix 4*: Prix Ganay, Grand Steeple-Chase de Paris, Prix du Jockey Club, Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud, FG Garden Party Juddmonte Grand Prix de Paris, Meeting de Deauville Lucien Barrière, Qatar Arc Trials, Les 48 heures de l'Obstacle.

For futher information and tickets: billetterie.france-galop.com.

Reduced price: for those that have a France Galop Club card, students, over 60s, job-seekers, and those accompanying handicapped people. 

Free entry for under 18s, PMU card holders (except Grand Prix 5*), and handicapped people.

Main events

  • July 2 - Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud (Group 1)
  • October 29 - Critérium International (Group 1), Critérium de Saint-Cloud (Group 1)

Schedule of upcoming races

Date Racetrack Start Races To note Ground Premium
01/05/2017 SAINT-CLOUD 13h15 Plat : 8
Prix : GANAY (Grp. I)
Autre(s) course(s) à noter :
Prix : DU MUGUET (Grp. II)
Prix : DE L'AVRE (Listed)
Prix : ILE DE FRANCE
Premium
08/05/2017 SAINT-CLOUD 13h05 Plat : 8
Prix : GREFFULHE (Grp. II)
Autre(s) course(s) à noter :
Prix : D'HEDOUVILLE (Grp. III)
Prix : DU BEL AIR
Prix : PALAIS DECOUV.
Premium
15/05/2017 SAINT-CLOUD 13h15 Plat : 8
Prix : D'ALSACE
Autre(s) course(s) à noter :
Prix : LAVANDIN
Prix : GARCHES
Prix : LE HAAR
Premium
19/05/2017 SAINT-CLOUD 13h15 Plat : 8
Prix : DU PRE CATELAN
Autre(s) course(s) à noter :
Prix : DE LA FLANDRIE
Prix : MONTAGNE SAINTE
Prix : CLIGNANCOURT
Premium
23/05/2017 SAINT-CLOUD 12h10 Plat : 8
Prix : CORRIDA (Grp. II)
Autre(s) course(s) à noter :
Prix : DU LYS (Grp. III)
Prix : CLEOPATRE (Grp. III)
Prix : DE PONTARME (Listed)
Premium

Saint-Cloud in numbers

33 meetings in 2016

75 hectares

2,300 metre track, with a 900 metre straight track and a 500 metre finishing straight, practically flat

144 boxes

History

The Saint-Cloud or Val d’Or racecourse is situated in the grounds of a former estate dating back to the ninth century. Between 1855 and 1860, Napoleon III went to a great deal of trouble buying up many different plots of land with the aim of creating a model farm for his private enjoyment. In January 1871, the farm was burned down during the fighting against the Prussians. The government put the Fouilleuse estate and all its buildings up for public auction in 1898. The highest bidder was Edmond Blanc, who was not only heir to the Societé des Bains de Mer in Monaco, an MP and Mayor, but also an important owner-breeder whose stud farm at Jardy was located a few kilometres away.

Three years later an imposing new stand was erected, as well as a weighing room and racecourse offices. Flower gardens and trees were planted and it was agreed that the racecourse, opened in 1901, would be leased to the Société d'Encouragement pour l'amélioration du Cheval français de demi-sang, the organisers of trotting racing, who were not certain of being able to continue to race at Vincennes, which had been reclaimed by the army, and who had just lost access to the racecourse at Neuilly-Levallois.

From a technical point of view and of modernity, nothing was neglected. The tracks are 50 metres wide, the straights connect to bends with a wide radius, and the home straight is almost 1,000 metres long. The starts took place in starting-gates and there was a telegraph machine so that the race results can be broadcast immediately. Confirmation of the achievement of this project came with the visit of the King of England, Edward VII, on 1 May 1905. After having received the congratulations of his royal guest on the set-up of his establishment, Edmond Blanc remarked that all the buildings were in the English style. "Yes, English," replied His Majesty with a smile, "but with a strong French flavour."

The 1924 Summer Olympics used the racecourse grounds for the polo matches. During the Second World War, the racing was again stopped. One section of the turf was dug up to accommodate vegetable gardens, which supplied the local population with invaluable fresh produce. Edmond Blanc’s descendants sold the racecourse in 1952 to the textile manufacturer and owner-breeder Marcel Boussac.

In 1954 the leaseholder, la Société sportive d'encouragement, entrusted the architect with rebuilding the stand, paddock, ticket office, stalls and boxes. Only the training centre and the owner’s house were spared.

The new Saint-Cloud racecourse, more functional than aesthetically pleasing, was opened in February 1955. It was sold again in 1974 and today belongs to France Galop.

The private training centre and Edmond Blanc’s house were restored and then in 1981 transformed into a private sports club named the Paris Country Club.